2.23.2013

white scraps pillow


Today's post is a tutorial on something I made for my new Ikea Kivik Sofa, a pillow. It's made out of fabric scraps that I've been collecting from samples I get through connections in the garment district. ;)

Be aware that I've learned to sew on my own through online classes and tutorials. So, this won't be perfect but it's truly made with love.




To begin, decide what size you want your pillow to be and pick 4 or 8 pretty fabrics. When I originally started this project I was going to buy the pillow stuffing but then found a perfect size pillow I had at home. So, feel free to use an old pillow.

  • Wash, dry and iron the fabric.
  • Cut 8 pieces of fabric the same size - front and back. (My pieces were perfect squares so I didn't have to do this step.)

Begin connecting the pillow by sewing the 4 pieces on each side.
  • Pin the two top pieces on the back/wrong side of the fabric where they need to be sewn.
  • Repeat the above for the bottom pieces and then again for the other side of the pillow.
  • Using a sewing machine, sew where you placed the pins.
  • Now, pin and sew the top and bottom of each side.
  • To connect the front and back of the pillow, pin again and sew the two pieces on three sides. Make sure you're sewing them on the reversed side of the fabric.


  • Iron and stuff the fabric with your pillow.

  • Fold the open side edges in. Pin and sew by hand.

Finally, I used fabric glue to attach a piece of ruffled fabric in the center of one side.


Cheers!
Cristalia

Google+ :: Facebook :: Twitter :: Instagram :: Pinterest :: Etsy

6 comments:

  1. Great job my love, Very nice..!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for the tutorial. Can't wait to try it myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be as crafty .. why dont you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone can be crafty! A shop section is on my to-do list for 'Cheers! Cristalia'... maybe by the end of the year! =)

    ReplyDelete